October 2, 2018
John Chambers (1846-1892) was born in County Mayo, Ireland and came to Mackinac Island, with his family, as a young man.
By 1870, he was in St. Ignace, opening a small grocery. This soon expanded to include fresh fish and extensive dealings with commercial fishermen, to meet their needs. His thriving business with the fishermen of Pte. LaBarbe, Gros Cap, Epoufette and Naubinway led t his building a branch store a Naubinway in 1890. He also became involved with real estate in Mackinac, Luce, Chippewa, Emmet and Schoolcraft counties, where huge tracts of cedar and hardwood were purchased and operated.
Mr. Chambers suffered ill health for much of his life and he enlisted his two brothers, Patrick and Michael, as partners through most his his years a s business man here.
He was very influential in the effort to move the county seat from Mackinac Island to St. Ignace. He served as President of the village of Naubinway and was the Supervisor of Garfield Township, at the time of his death.